Digital identities as the basis of digital ecosystems
Digital identities form the basis for digital ecosystems. Without identity rules, trust, security, certainty and privacy are at risk. In order to leverage the potential of digital identities, what is needed above all is a harmonization of regulation. In addition, secure digital identities also promote innovation through the widespread use of new technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain and biometrics.
Together with its members, Bitkom wants to help this necessary infrastructure for digital ecosystems achieve a breakthrough. To this end, Bitkom has launched an initiative with service providers in the field of digital identities and users from different industries and is coordinating the exchange between experts in the Digital Identities Working Group. We are convinced that cross-industry cooperation and an intensive exchange between industry and the EU Commission, ministries and supervisory authorities will lead to success for all market participants and that identity services can become a European export product.
From Bitkom's point of view, the key points for progress in enforcing digital identities are set out in the 5-point plan. Bitkom is also involved in the eIDAS Review and the activities on the EU Digital Identity Wallet.
As part of an extensive market survey commissioned by Bitkom, an analysis of the status quo of eID in Germany was prepared. In it, we had 5 central aspects examined:
- Current approaches and determination of the current status quo of eID in Germany
- Best practices: Analysis of successful examples in the European Union with a focus on Italy, Denmark, France and Austria, as well as highlighting similarities and differences.
- Consideration of social and legal framework conditions: Outline of societal cornerstones based on selected examples within the EU as well as legal conditions (from a German perspective).
- Options for action: Comparison of approaches as well as elaboration of possible options (target solutions) taking into account benefits for users and resulting scaling effects in case of successful implementation.
- Next steps: Elaboration of next implementation steps.
The study will be presented at the eIDAS Summit 2022.